Saturday, May 13, 2006

Two Sundays Ago

The sun was pleasant upon my back,
The day was going well,
The trail stretched out before us,
Drenched in the forest’s smell.
On a new trail foreign to us,
We enjoyed the spirit of discovery,
Reveling in the new conditions,
And the sights to see.
Half way upon our journey,
Fate cunningly intervened,
A major kind of breakdown,
The kind of which I’ve never dreamed.
The worst kind of broken,
Uttering words I can’t repeat,
I at least got kind of mobile,
But I’d need to use my feet.
Miles from home or anywhere,
We walked through bramble and burr,
Until the landscape became familiar,
And we kind of knew where we were.
My partner went off then,
Back to get his car,
I would continue to walk, though,
Destined to not get far,
For I was wearing new shoes,
Not properly conditioned yet,
And judging by the pain I felt,
Blisters were a safe bet.
For another hour I trudged forward,
Hoping for some reprieve,
Just wanting for this time to end,
Just wanting to simply leave.
My friend arrived with a sour expression,
His car was not running well,
The clutch was not engaging properly,
This day had gone to Hell.
He nursed it with much finesse,
Cajoling it with great skill,
Massaging when were going up,
Then coasting down each hill.
We parted ways with some relief,
We had faced challenges and won,
At least there was some daylight left,
Some chance at having fun.
My daughter was quite excited,
A birthday party in her plans,
So we made a card and got dressed,
A present in our hands.
A good time was being had by all,
Bowling was the day’s theme,
Sugar and saturated fat on the table,
It was a child’s every dream.
When over the loudspeaker,
Came a message about my car,
And to report outside immediately,
It was just bizarre.
Outside a crowd had gathered,
One of them in tears,
A quick inspection followed,
To confirm my darkest fears.
A person had not been looking,
And from them I wish not to detract,
But my car was far away from theirs,
But into it they still backed.
The damage to my car was minor,
Much more significant to theirs,
I know accidents can surely happen,
But that did not help my despair.
My car has recently been painted,
To have it marked in such a way,
I just thought it was typical,
And that’s all I have to say.
So at this point I was ruminating,
A thought swirling in my head,
I wish that I had paranormal powers,
So I would have stayed in bed.

Cheers

No comments: