Sunday, March 27, 2005

Plot Twists

Movie makers have been putting twists in the plot since the first opportunity presented itself. I think.

My favourite example is "The Sixth Sense". Most people I talk to state that they knew what was happening all along. Well, I didn't. I'm either the dumbest person on the planet or among a few honest ones.

Today I saw "The Village" by the same person who did the aforementioned movie. Because I was familiar with what had happened in "The Sixth Sense" I pretty much guessed what was coming. This made the movie a bit less enjoyable. So, are other people in the same situation - not getting "caught" quite so often? Is this a bit disappointing? Are movies going to become so convoluted in an effort to "catch" the audience that we'll need Ph Ds to decode them?

I hope not - I want to watch a movie to shut down and enjoy what I see - not spend hours trying to break it down.

No comments: