Friday, July 01, 2005

The carpet cleaners were due quite soon,
I raced around our home,
We had to pick things up,
So over the carpets the cleaners could roam.
I found my missing car keys,
A relief I’m telling you,
I had not seen them since,
The summer of ’92.
I found four hundred dollars,
As the furniture I rearranged,
The money was of the mobile sort,
Made up of just small change.
I found a few expired credit cards,
But a surprise was in store,
They belonged to the people that,
Owned the house before.
Dust bunnies were breeding rampantly,
Of them scared I am,
In one room the had taken over,
So to the other side I swam.
Many meals were hiding everywhere,
Stashed by our children two,
Mostly comprising shrivelled vegetables,
No surprise, I’m telling you.
But most surprising surprise of all, (hee hee)
Was the next to confront me,
Was quivering in an isolated corner –
It was child number three!
The little soul had been lost,
From its time from the womb,
Quivering in isolation.
In our crowded junk room.
No, that’s not strictly possible,
I’m wandering off my tale,
That’s no surprising surprise there, (hee hee),
I’m a surprising kind of male. (Surprisingly, hee hee heeeeee!)
But the carpet cleaners were impressed,
My efforts made them smile,
Their job was somewhat easier,
Much easier by a mile.
Their steam cleaner went to work,
Depositing the excess on the ground,
But when I finally went outside,
This is the surprise I found –
With the deposits from the carpet,
A large amount of soil was now there,
At the surprising magnificence of the mound,
I could only surprisingly stare.
It towered above our dwelling,
It dwarfed our surprised trees,
It shocked the abundant wildlife,
It scared the surprised bees.
So, I spread it out a little,
A surprising plan I began to hatch,
This soil would be perfect for,
A little vege patch.
But before I could plant a thing,
Plants began to grow,
Our carpet was surprisingly richly rich
In seeds and spores, you know.
The produce was rare and rich,
Surprising in its diversity,
The things that grew were award winning,
Which was a surprise to me.
We fed the homeless and the desperate,
The busy and the bored,
Surprisingly I then won,
A humanitarian award.
So, now we leave the carpet alone,
Free from being clean,
We water it every single day,
To see what from it we can glean.
The moral of the story is simple,
Surprises are everywhere,
And if your carpet’s a little dirty,
You need not even care.
Surprisingly.

Cheers

No comments: