Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I Know Famous People

It’s amazing how well I know famous people. I’ve seen their movies. This has led me to understand their character types, even though they have played diverse roles. I’ve seen interviews with them recorded in scholarly magazines. This has enabled me to read between the lines to get key insights into their personalities. I have made my mind up about what I think that they are like.

And I am wrong.

I recently saw extended interviews with Mark Wahlberg and Jim Carrey, both of whom are actors that I enjoy seeing in action. Both are very diverse in the roles that they accept, both are people that I admire. Both interviewed very poorly. It irks me when I hear about their troubles with drugs/alcohol/medications, their arrest records etc. and then them say that they were so bad, but now they’re so good. It makes me ill to hear how school was irrelevant and that they made their own way. It angers me about how they say family is so important to them now, when all through their lives they have not paid attention to their family.

The whole, “I was no bad, but now I’m at peace,” message gets tiring and I was disappointed that these two people elected to play that role in their respective interviews.

So, what can I learn from this? Perhaps it’s that people that I admire are only people, just like I’m one. Perhaps it’s that these people are subject to following trends, just like I do (occasionally, and usually after the trend is no longer a trend). Perhaps it’s that I can’t understand someone from what I’m given by the print and film industries.

Perhaps I should find other people to admire, ones that are near me and who I know well.

No comments: