Thursday, December 02, 2004

90

I had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman today on the occasion of his 90th birthday. This man was the most alert and sprightly 90 year old I’ve ever seen – he’d make some 50 year olds look downright silly. What intrigued me was that to mark the occasion they had a beautiful park bench made by an engineering company and then donated it to his primary school.

This arose from their wish to mark the event and when they approached him he stated that the times that he was at school were some of the happiest of his life. How many of us can say that, particularly as we go through them? Perhaps our views of events long ago are seen through rose coloured glasses.

Regardless, this gentleman, and I use the word intentionally, was an inspiration to me and to all those who met him. I hope people can say the same about me, both now and in the future.

No comments: