Monday, October 10, 2005

I cannot give you the formula for success, but

I can give you the formula for failure –

Which is: try to please everybody

How do we learn to say "No" better?

How many of us every week or even every day as we are driving home think "Why didn’t I just say NO." It is certainly not because we like the accompanying awkward and probably uncomfortable feelings of obligation, confrontation, threat, guilt, disappointment, embarrassment or even lack of confidence.

Maybe we need to practice responses like "I know you might be disappointed but I can’t do this before next Tuesday because I have ---- and ---- deadlines to meet before then. I know this is important and it needs time; I would not like to compromise the quality of the work by giving it insufficient time."

Yes, it does mean a little bravery, but you will feel better about your self, staff or parents will understand your work more and the fear will be gone.

No comments: